Tote Stitch Sessions by High Wasted Society and Dusty Disco Ball
Dust off your machine and learn some simple techniques to begin your sewing journey and start creating unique individual pieces for yourself!
28 Mar, 6:15 pm – 8:30 pm
West Melbourne, 33-35 Dudley St, West Melbourne VIC 3003, Australia
Can’t get it in the hole? Length too long? Things keep slipping around? Had every intention of using that sewing machine you bought years ago then got too nervous to use it?
This is the perfect class for you!
High Wasted Society and Dusty Disco Ball have now joined forces to present contemporary sewing classes in Melbourne. You can dust off your machine and learn some simple techniques to begin your sewing journey and start creating unique individual pieces for yourself.
This course is ideal for the absolute beginner. If you’ve always wanted to try sewing or need a refresher course after a long break, this course will cover everything you need to know to get you on your way.
In this workshop you will learn how to thread a sewing machine, wind a bobbin, sew straight lines and create professional looking seams.
And you will learn how to sew your very own simple tote bag! With pockets!
Prerequisites: None! This is a total beginner class.
- Glass of Wine
- Nibbles (advise of any allergy)
- 2 hours tutored class with expert seamstresses.
- Haberdashery Starter Kit (pins, un-picker, black or white thread)
What To Buy:
- One metre (one yard) or medium weight woven cotton fabric for outside - suitable medium weight fabrics would be cotton drill, cotton duck and any slightly thicker cotton fabric (non stretchy)
- 80cm (one yard) of light weight woven fabric for lining - craft or quiliting fabrics work well
Note: Some fabrics will be available on the day but we suggest you bring your own so that you can make a bag you will love to use.
What You Will Learn:
- Cut out and sew a simple lined tote bag with pockets
- Sew and attach bag handles
- Fill the bobbin and fit it into the sewing machine
- Thread your machine
- Take up of bobbin thread
- Sewing straight stitching
What To Bring:
- Please bring your own machine (make sure that you bring all the electric parts e.g. cord and foot control, presser feet and manual if you have it).
- Sewing kit (Tape Measure | Fabric Scissors | Quick unpick | Fabric Pins)
- Pre-purchased fabric (as described above)
A Little Housekeeping:
Please arrive on time at 6:15pm to ensure your machine is set up and you are ready to go. It isn't fair to your fellow participants for us to have to start the class over if you arrive late.
Just in case, we will have a limited number of sewing machines and other supplies on hand for you to use if you have forgotten something.
Workshops and courses are often sold out weeks in advance. It isn‘t always possible to transfer you into another workshop or makeup lesson if you miss your class. If we have an available session where you can attend a missed class we will try to our best to fit you in. If that isn't possible, you will need to book another class or private lesson.
Refunds are available up to 7 days before the event date. Please understand, last minute transfers and refunds are not something we can manage. We know that there may be circumstances beyond your control and will do our best to assist where possible if your request comes in 48 hours before the workshop. If you give more than 48 hours notice, you can apply for a credit to another workshop date where there is available space.